Is your chin profile sloping down?
If you’re bothered by a double chin – you’re not alone. A heavy set jawline or double chin can age us. At Spring Skin we offer an injectable solution for permanent removal of fat cells from the submental area with Belkyra.
Belkyra (referred to as Kybella in the US) is the first and only FDA approved injectable drug that contours and corrects moderate to severe fullness under your chin. A series of monthly Belkyra injections can help restore a more youthful jawline.
How does Belkyra work?
- Deoxycholic acid is the active ingredient in Belkyra. Deoxycholic acid is a naturally occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. Belkyra contains a synthetic formulation of deoxycholic acid that is non-human and non-animal derived.
- Fat cells are broken down each time Belkyra is injected into the treatment
area. Over a period of time, those cells are cleared away through the natural
metabolic processes of your body
- Within 4-6 weeks of treatment you will be left with a noticeable reduction of
- fullness under the chin
- Once the targeted fat cells are destroyed they can no longer store or accumulate fat. This means that your anticipated aesthetic response will be stable and will require no further treatment.
What to expect during your Treatment
- Dr vanVliet will assess you and review what you can expect on the day of your treatment, including during the post-treatment recovery time For men we recommend shaving the day before your treatment but not the day of to reduce irritation.
- Dr vanVliet will take pre-treatment photos so that we can monitor your progress over time.
- Surgical prep to cleanse the treatment area
- Local freezing to reduce discomfort during Belkyra injections
- Small injections with Belkyra are made into the submental fat
- The treatment session lasts approximately 45 minutes
Treat. Repeat. Complete.
A series of 2 to 4 monthly treatments is needed to improve your chin profile and this will be tailored to your unique profile needs. Dr vanVliet will walk you through the process and advise you regarding your anticipated treatment sessions and associated costs.
• You can anticipate swelling and some bruising after your treatment. You may want to schedule your treatment session with planned social and work downtime for the first week.
• Icing the area will help reduce the swelling
• Within a week most of the swelling will have resolved.
• The results are cumulative and therefore sessions are often spaced 4-6 weeks apart.
The most common
side effects are:
Swelling is an expected reaction to your treatment. It is most pronounced for the first 72 hours and then begins to improve over the week. You may want to
schedule your treatment session with planned social / work down time during this time.
- With subsequent treatment sessions you often will experience less swelling than after your initial treatment
- Other common side effects:
- Pain or numbness
- Redness or transient firmness in the injected area
Complications and serious side-effects are not common, but include
- Hair loss
- Open sores, ulcers
- Nerve injury in the jawline which can cause an uneven smile or facial
muscle weakness – this is often transient and tends to dissipate over
weeks after treatment
- Trouble swallowing
We can correct skin quality anywhere on the body but these are our most popular treatment
areas that can be chosen from, often in combination with one another:
- Back of hands
We realize that your time is valuable to you. There are treatments we offer that pair beautifully with BBL treatments. Combining treatments can help you save on time and often there are some cost savings when bundling treatments together. We also see more dramatic results, and
faster, with combination treatments.
- Spring Skin Glow: This is a signature treatment that combines the exfoliation, hydrating and enriching benefits of a HydraFacial MD treatment with your BBL treatment to buff your skin and give it that instant glow.
- Dermaplaning: Exfoliation with a specialty blade scrapes away dead skin cells and vellous
hair (peach fuzz) to brighten and smooth the skin surface.
- Injectables: Toxins and Fillers
- BBL and PDT: An excellent combination treatment for rough, heavily sun-damaged skin.
- Combine BBL treatment regions: You can treat face, neck and décolletage and / or hands all in one treatment session.
BBL correct is an easily tolerated and safe procedure that in most cases incurs minimal to no down-time. The treated area may be red and flushed and for most patients this usually dissipates in a few hours.
Most people continue on with their normal day to day activities – this can easily be a lunch time treatment for you. We recommend wearing a protective broad-spec SPF >30 to protect your investment and your skin health. We also recommend being gentle with your skin and not picking or scratching at it.
In heavily sun-damaged skin or with patients with moderate to severe rosacea the down-time may be more prolonged with swelling and redness over a few days. We can usually predict this and will guide you as best as possible regarding what you can expect following your treatment.
Patients with prominent pigmentation may notice that their treated brown areas become temporarily darker for 10-14 days as the body rids itself of the targeted pigment. They gradually flake off and fade, leaving your skin clear and smooth. With subsequent treatments, as the skin improves, the down-time reverts to minimal to none.
After a series of BBL treatments most of our patients see improvements in nearly every aspect of their skin. We recommend an initial series of 3 to 5 monthly BBL treatments until you have achieved your desired skin improvements. Having 2 to 3 treatments annually as maintenance will be effective at slowing down the aging process of your skin and will leave your skin healthy, vibrant and clear.
From a Stanford peer reviewed study have confirmed that BBL treatment can restore your skin cell gene expression pattern to resemble that of younger skin cells. Hands down, BBL is easily one of the most effective, no down-time procedures in aesthetic medicine to prevent and reverse skin aging, restoring your skin to its naturally radiant and clear