Skin care is a process - not a product!
At Spring Skin we believe that skin care should:
- Be simple
- Cost effective
- Supported by science
Think dental care: We all know how to show up daily as an integral part of our dental hygiene. And we know that if we forget to floss and brush – that we will pay dearly.
Think skin care: Although we may be showing up daily, many of us drop the ball regarding proper care of our skin because we simply just dont understand how. Confusion regarding skin products and cosmeceuticals is common – and the multi-billion dollar Beauty industry contributes to much of the white noise and misinformation that gets served to us. Most people fret over what moisturizer to use – and yet do little to protect or nourish their skin.
At Spring Skin we have made specific choices in skin care lines and products that are worth your investment. They include multiple but simple elements that contribute towards an effective skin care regimen.
Dr vanVliet’s Favourite Skin Care Regimens
- gentle cleanse
- Vitamin C&E
- ZO Daily
- Broad spec SPF
- gentle cleanse
- Vitamin C&E
- Gentle AHA
First and foremost!
Starts with Sun Protection!
It may not sound sexy, but sunscreen should be foundational to your skin care regimen every day and all year round. Think of sun protection as an insurance policy against future skin cancers and for maintaining your skin’s health. Skin health in turn subtends skin Beauty.
We all want radiant skin in the summer, with a beautiful sun-kissed healthy glow and less make-up. And although the sun may feel good for our souls – its not so great for our skin.
In much of BC, including Salt Spring island, our climate is temperate enough that you cannot rely on the sense of HEAT to let you know your skin is burning and getting damaged – even in the summer. And while most of us know to be smart when we’re on the beach we need to remember to bring the same vigilance to protecting our skin while running errands or going for a hike. The sun doesnt know or care what you are doing – in all situations the sun can do its damage! in the short run as a sunburn – in the long run as skin cancers, wrinkles and aging spots.
Be Sun Smart:
- Wear a broad rimmed hat and sunglasses
- Wear sun protective clothing
- Apply broad-spec SPF of 30 or higher; and re-apply every 2 hours or as needed
- Apply topical anti-oxidants to your skin to super-charge the efficacy of your sun screen
Inflammaging of skin occurs when oxidative stress, left unchecked, damages our skin. This happens when free radicals are formed due to exposure to pollutants, toxins and UV light that bombard our skin. These free radicals are unstable, toxic substances that can do much damage and inflammaging of our skin.
Repair and Nourish your Skin
- Anti-oxidants are antidotes to free radical formation, helping to neutralize them before they do their damage to your skin.
- Anti-oxidant rich skin can be achieved with an anti-oxidant rich diet, supplements, and most potently with special topical formulations of anti-oxidants.
- Vitamin C is a free radical quencher for skin and it needs to be specially formulated in the right concentrations so that it can do its job.
- Vitamin C and E work synergistically to scavenge free radicals.
- Antioxidants dont replace the need for your sunscreen but they help your sunscreen work better to prevent sunburns and damage. They essentially supercharge the efficacy of your sunscreen to protect you – a very potent anti-aging combination!
- Peptides: There are many different peptides, but all of them are proteins, that can help with collagen production and skin rejuvenation
- Retinol, Retinoids and Retinoic acid is the one class of ingredients that contain Vitamin A and have decades of solid scientific date behind them. Formulations have been improved over the years and they are now much more effective and well tolerated. They help normalize skin cell turnover, improve collagen production, stabilize pigment and help to brighten the skin
The most potent Anti-Aging Combination of Skin Care Treatments:
Broad-Spectrum Sunscreen (SPF>30) + Topical Anti-Oxidants
Some of our favourite Skin Products
Skin Medica Products:
- Vit C&E: This anti-oxidant formulation contains one of the highest concentrations of vitamins C + E to provide extraordinary protection against free radical damage. It is fragrance free, highly moisturizing and it brightens your skin. Just apply one squirt to your skin before you apply your sunscreen – and you’re all set. No moisturizer needed.
- HA5: HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator works by providing continuous skin hydration. Unlike other hyaluronic acid (HA) serums that only temporarily moisturize the surface, HA5 has 5 different forms of HA that work synergistically to provide instant smoothing results and continuous hydration throughout the day. Apply HA5 after cleansing and topical application of antioxidants – then apply your SPF last.
- Retinol complex (0.25%-0.5%-1.0%): This proprietary, advanced antioxidant complex maximizes retinol delivery and minimizes irritation typically associated with retinoids. It comes in 3 strengths and it helps to enhance skin turnover / exfoliation , collagen synthesis and pigment stabilization. Skin becomes thicker, smoother and brighter, with fewer dark spots. For PM use only.
- Broad spectrum SPF: Biophora Daily Protection provides broad spectrum (chemical and mechanical barriers) to help prevent sun damage. Its many natural ingredients sooth and protect. Its light in texture and not greasy; Dr vanVliet skips the moisturizer and just uses this as her final form of protection first thing in the day.
- Gentle AHA: This rich, emollient cream is formulated with gentle yet effective Lactic acid to intensity moisturize and gently exfoliate dry skin. Dr vanVliet uses this as her night cream.
- DermaRich moisturizer: An anti-oxidant rich, extraordinary emollient moisturizer with vast amounts of nourishing, soothing and lubricating nutrients. Its excellent for eradicating dry skin, especially in the winter months or post procedure.
- Anti-oxidant Moisturizer: Anti-oxidant rich moisturizer to help prevent free radical damage and repair skin from the elements. This moisturizer is nutrient rich with ingredients such as vitamins E and A, and Betaglucan. Its a light, greaseless moisturizer and is excellent for the summer months.
- Duo (Enzyme exfoliator + Multivitamin freeze mask): The enzyme exfoliator contains pineapple and papaya derived fruit enzymes and soft scrub particles that gently remove dead skin cells without the risk of irritating skin. We follow this with application of a refreshing and cooling clay based mask full of anti-oxidants which hydrates and nourishes your freshly exfoliated skin. This Duo is perfect for a once per week home treatment to make your skin feel instantly refreshed and so very smooth.
Other Wonderful Products Lines:
ZO Daily Power Defense: This anti-oxidant and peptide rich formulation helps strengthen the skin and supports a healthier barrier function. When the barrier is intact, skin is naturally hydrated, tolerant and strong.
Colour Science Lip Shine: 35 SPF for lips. Minty and soothing and protective.
Dr vanVliet and her team in Spring Spring are highly professional and very respectful of privacy and the personality of each client. The office is exceptionally clean and welcoming. Dr vanVliet has an artist’s eye and a surgeon’s hand. I have thorough confidence in her aesthetic advice and skills. I would recommend this office for anyone seeking basic skin maintenance to age defying therapies, from removal of simple skin lesions to more complicated, larger excisions. The end result is an advertisement in itself.
Everything about Spring Skin is First Rate!! From the time you enter Spring Skin’s beautifully appointed office, one feels in caring and very professional hands. It is a happy environment. Dr VanVliet’s advice and the treatments are superb.. we are very fortunate to have this wonderful, knowledgeable Dr on our island. I always come away feeling my best!!
Dr Van Vliet and her team are so caring and wonderful. I feel like Im being so well taken care of when I go there. Also – their cosmetic skin procedures have given me better results than many bit city dermatologists!
I am absolutely delighted to provide a review for Spring Skin! As someone who had been going to Vancouver several times a year for skin care, I was thrilled to discover Spring Skin right here on Salt Spring island. Immediately I received friendly and knowledgeable service from the office manager and my initial consult was an absolute delight! The clinic itself is lovely and inviting. I had all my questions answered and left with a treatment plan. My treatments have all gone as expected and I am in love with the results. Spring Skin will now be a regular part of my self care and skin care routines and I cannot wait to go back and try more of what they have to offer. Vancouver level treatments and service right here on Salt Spring – simply fantastic!
If someone asked me to describe my treatment results in one word, that word would be WOW! I am so impressed with Spring Skin and that begins as soon as you walk through the front door. They are friendly, knowledgeable, and always willing to take the time to explain various treatments. The treatments themselves and the results are nothing short of amazing. I would highly recommend Spring Skin!